The Edmonton Oilers released this today;
Oilers Cheerleaders will:
- Perform at Rexall Place during Oilers home games
- Sign autographs and pose for pictures during the game
- Entertain and lift the spirits of the Edmonton Oilers community
- Travel locally, meeting fans and participating in many community events
- Model in the 1st annual Edmonton Oilers Cheerleader calendar
- Be pictured and have a bio on edmontonoilers.com
- Educate fans and potential fans about all the Oilers have to offer
- Represent the Edmonton Oilers organization by actively supporting the values and goals of the club
- Participate in community events and volunteer activities
- Engage with fans through various media, corporate, community and charity events
- Entertain fans during Oilers home games
- Maturity and responsibility
- Dedication and a strong desire to support the team and the squad
- A positive attitude and high energy level
- A flexible schedule to accommodate taking part in most home games from November to April in addition to community appearances
- Must be 18 years of age by Nov 15, 2010
- Must be a high school graduate as of June 15, 2010
- Cheer/Dance/Gymnastics experience is helpful, but not required
There are no height and weight requirements; however, we are looking for athletic girls in good physical condition. We recommend that all candidates maintain a regular exercise program.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE...
|Bruins Cheer Team|
|NYI Ice Girl|
These guys think I am.
After reading what the Oilers wrote on thier site (above) and hearing Pat LaForge on the radio, I'm even more shocked that they are pushing this as a community service. Seriously... a community service? Your kidding right? A calender of the girls? Must be fit? Sign autographs and take pictures with the fans? Become an Edmonton celebrity?
~No this isn't selling sex at hockey games at all.~
|Dallas Stars Ice Girls|
How about some decent food and a lower price on beer to add spice to the evening? Start there. Fans deserve that.
I know that I will recieve a ton of backlash -- which I am already -- for speaking out about this, so be it. I don't care. I don't want sex at my hockey.... I want hockey. Pure hockey.
|LA Kings Ice Girl|
ON A SIDE NOTE: I took my 2 year old daughter to a Red Deer Rebels game a month and a half ago. Since that time, every single day, "Hey Dad. Remember that buffalo at the hockey game?". She doesn't stop talking about the buffalo mascot. So don't tell me little kids don't know what's going on around them. Hey! Why not get a mascot instead?
What are your thoughts on the cheer team? It's pretty clear on how I feel.
Not related to this website, this article, or me, someone has started a petition to stop this. Not surprised.
EDITED DECEMBER 15TH, 2010;
Here is the first performance for the new Oilers Cheer squad. They are called the Edmonton Octane. Here is their website. http://www.oilersoctane.com/
|Picture from OilersOctane.com|
-Written by Smokin' Ray-